Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ask not what your Type can do for you; ask what you can do for your Type!

So, I decided to post some of my stuff work from my Typography class last year.

This first piece was based on the song Identity Crisis by Thrice. And yes, if you've seen my photography section, I also did a picture based on this song as well. The criteria was to make a poem or song interesting with some type while incorporating some kind of image.

The textures were done in photoshop and the type was designed in illustrator.












This project was especially ridiculous... it took MANY hours to recreate this photo with type... and I was never quite happy with it. The picture on the right was done in my photo 1 (film) class.

The type picture was done in illustrator.









A lot of the stuff I had done prior to this point was somewhat grungy and didn't scream "take me serious as a graphic designer!" So, I decided to go outside my usual box and create something more... not me. This is the end result. A brochure for my sister- she never ended up using it because she had no need for it, but it was fun nonetheless.

Created with illustrator, photoshop, and indesign.



















Here's what the printed product looks like. Don't mind the pictures--they're a little crappy.














Now, as a graphic designer, the number one rule is to never fall in love with your own work! Why? Because it can always be better and it's not always going to be what your customer wants. Well, I have to say that I have broken the cardinal rule on this poster-- I love it. It's one of my pieces that I have any desire to change. To be fair though, I'm sure there are things that could make this better. Anywho, for this project we had to design an 11X17 poster based on some font. I chose helvetica.

Created with illustrator.




















This project was mix between my English 2010 final and my typography final. For Typography we needed to create a 4 page magazine spread about whatever we wanted. For my English class a group of us had to create a magazine about the Iraq war and how music has affected people's opinions. I created all of the spreads and wrote the article called, "Confessions of an Anti-War Musician." I also wrote a little section about Thrice in the Fallacious Quotes section. It was a pretty fun project because my group members were fairly pro-war and I am quite the opposite. This was a lot of work but it was a lot of fun

NOTE- the majority of the images used were taken right off the internet. The magazine was not used for profit and credit was given where due.

Created with photoshop, illustrator, and indesign.


1 comment:

  1. I should be a hand model. Look at me holding that brochure like it's nothing!

    ReplyDelete