Sunday, January 10, 2010

More Digital Photography you say?

Alright, I decided to post more of my work from last semester to my blog before I start my new semester tomorrow. It might not get done if I don't do it today! However, that reminds me of a good quote- Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? Powerful words.

Moving on. A lot of work I did this last semester was with panoramic/montage type work. This first picture doesn't have any kind of deep meaning... I just thought it was ridiculous and funny. Plus, if you know Jane it's even more ridiculous.





Here's an example of that "montage" technique I was talking about. this picture is made up of about 30 different pictures taken anywhere from 18mm-55mm (limits of my lens). You can't tell as much in the smaller version but the look at it up close and you can see the fractured look it has. The idea was not to get this perfect looking picture--I wanted it to look fractured and somewhat disjointed... without, of course, looking too weird.














And then of course, the typical "pretty" panoramic picture that you would typically expect. Don't get me wrong-- I like these kind of pictures (and I like taking them) but they're very overdone. This picture was made up of about 10 different picture. I have another one that I took at 55 mm and it was made up of about 24-30 different exposures. FUN!










This next technique is called HDR (High Dynamic Range). It's a good technique to be used in high contrast situations like the one below. I took 3 different exposures--one normal (capture midtones), one 2 stops overexposed (capture details inside shed), and one 2 stops underexposed (capture clouds). Then I combined them to create the final image on below. It's a gorgeous technique if done right. I added the little border for kicks and giggles.

































Side note--this was a shed at my Grandpa's that I was helping him tear down. It was very bittersweet because that shed has been there for as long as I've been around. It's not completely down yet but it will be soon. Here's what the aftermath looked like when we were done. Here's looking at you Shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment