Monday, August 30, 2010

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

-Robert Frost

So, I'm not a huge reader but I used to love S.E. Hinton. If you've read "The Outsiders," you've inevitably read this poem. I liked the idea that this poem was written about childhood. Things are never as golden as they seem when you're a child. Thus, bringing us to my next piece. I used to have these red cowboy boots as a little kid that I refused to take off. In fact, it was easier for my mom to put me to sleep in those bad boys than to take them off. So, with all the stress of life and college, I wanted to make something that reminded me of the golden age of my childhood. It's supposed to be a rocking horse, but a lot of people call it a dog... I'm very fond of dogs so I take no offense. This sculpture is made up of lamps, a fireplace (yes, you heard me right), log holders (next to a fireplace), and magazine racks. Definitely a labor of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment